Sunday, April 4, 2010

A revelation of Divine Love to Julian of Norwich

The fourteenth-century mystic Julian of Norwich says upon being showed a little thing in the palm of her hand by the Lord. She looked at it and thought, but within the eye of her comprehension: What may this be? The answer she received was: It is all that is made. Dame Julian marvelled how it may last, and thought "it might suddenly have fallen to naught for littleness." And her understanding was answered to as: It lasteth, and ever shall, for that God loveth it.

As Dame Julian further put it:
I saw three properties. The first is that God made it, the second that God loveth it, the third that God keepeth it. But what is to me verily the Maker, the Keeper and the Lover---I cannot tell; for till I am substantially oned to him, I may never have full rest nor very bliss; that is to say, till I be so fastened to him that there is right nought that is made betwixt my God and me.

(as read/summarised from Eknath Easwaran's section on Kavi (poet, the poet as an artist), in 1000 Names of Vishnu. pub. by Jaico, India)


No comments: